Sunday, October 26, 2008

What should I listen to? (the 2009 review project)

In just two months, I will cease reviewing YA novels in this blog for a year due to serving on the 2010 Printz. I've hired two absolutely outstanding guest bloggers to fill in, so I guarantee you will have your regular dose of YA literature, but I was thinking about the things that I would like to review here.

Picture books are out. I greatly enjoy them but I know absolutely nothing about art. I can barely tell an oil from a watercolor. Light and perspective befuddle me. I haven't taken an art class since sixth grade, and I barely made it through elementary school art with passing grades.

Middle grade books? I love MG books and have only recently discovered the wonder that is Polly Horvath. I wish her books had been around when I was a kid. I was exactly that kind of quirky girl reader who would have loved them. But the thing with MG is that some of it crosses into the YA realm. The age range for the Printz is 12-18, not 14-18, meaning that all those "ages 9-12" books can be nominated. This being the case, I would rather err on the side of book review caution.

Adult books? Maybe. But they're awfully long.

I know.

MUSIC.

Here's my new goal for 2009: I would like to listen to and do short reviews of at least 50 albums between January 1 and December 31. I think that's doable, just given the time I spend either running or driving or on public transportation. Here are my personal rules:

1. It must be an album I've never heard before in full. If I've heard one or two songs from an album, that's okay.

2. I'd like to review at least 20 albums during the year by bands I've never listened to before. These can be bands from any decade.

These seem like silly rules for most people, but most people aren't Dean Winchester in a librarian's body. As I've mentioned before, I love classic rock and have no qualms about listening to Back in Black once a week or so. Listening to the same five albums over and over doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, it's gotten me in sort of a rut.

I'm Carlie, and I'm your new reader's advisory project.

I really like...: Classic rock, hard rock, and metal make up most of my music library. AC/DC, Rush, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Seether, Shinedown, Velvet Revolver, Nirvana, GnR, Foo Fighters, the Stones, Alter Bridge, the Who, Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Staind, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, Disturbed

You may also be surprised to learn that I am a fan of...: Tori Amos, Avril Lavigne, Mannheim Steamroller, Dashboard Confessional, Death Cab for Cutie, Mary J. Blige, Justin Timberlake, Fall Out Boy, Lily Allen

If you recommend the following, I probably won't like it based on past experience: Rap save for a little Eminem here and there, R&B, country, blues, jazz, much emo. I've tried to like Belle and Sebastian, Joanna Newsom, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Regina Spektor and not succeded.

Oh, and I can't stand the Eagles or Pink Floyd.

So, recommend away! I'm also taking suggestions for favorite music recommendation sites. I like Pandora a lot but I'm up for more options.

iTunes, here I come.

No comments: