Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big news in small packages

Books, Bits, and Bytes has a very useful YA Lit 2.0 presentation to check out.

Karen Cushman made "Corpus Bones!" the coolest non-four-letter curse ever, and she has shared this announcement:

...at long last the arrival of karencushman.com.

Yes, I am moving into the 21st century but I am only going as a tourist.


Karen, welcome to 21st-century reader's advisory and book discussion. You are always welcome, and we're happy to get you a cup of tea (or coffee, or whatever your preferred drink is).

As we welcome Karen to the online childrens/YA literature fold, we say goodbye (mostly) to someone else. When I was new to the NYC area and networking to learn more about my colleagues (and hoping that my publishing colleagues might fix me up with a galley or two), I had the pleasure of meeting Mimi Kayden of HarperCollins Children's Books. She has now announced her retirement, and all of us remember how she made our careers better by simply doing her job. Thank you for everything you've done for the librarian community, Mimi, and I hope your retirement is full of sunny beaches, fruity drinks, and cabana boys.

On the reading front, check out this NYTimes piece on Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, a sleeper realistic fiction hit that didn't get the press it deserved in the wake of OMGVAMPIRES: A Story of a Teenager's Suicide Quietly Becomes a Best Seller.

Because my sister loves me very much, she bought me this t-shirt for my birthday.

The Eleventh Stack blog of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh has an entry this week on one of my favorite topics: great YA books for adult readers. See it here: Books Beyond the Ages.

HarperCollins has launched a new blog aimed at librarians: Library Love Fest

No comments: