Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Authors and prizes and marketing, oh my!

Today, it's all about other people.

From the Boston Globe, Faith and Good Works: Mormon writers find their niche in wholesome young adult genre. Once again, the press tells us what we YA librarians and readers have known all along: There's a place in YA for just about everyone. YA is no more all "sex, drugs and vampires" than it is squeaky-clean puppy love, but both can easily be found in the genre. YA readers welcome sex or no sex, as long as the writing is appealing. And the article interviews Martine Leavitt, author of one of the best books I read in 2008: Keturah and Lord Death.

The 2008 LA Times Book Prize finalists were announced at their Jacket Copy blog. The Young Adult Literature category is pretty diverse: There's fiction, nonfiction, a graphic work, characters who aren't white, and The Graveyard Book.

My friend Kerri at the Mulberry Street Branch of NYPL sent me a flyer for what looks like a fabulous event. On March 18, from 6-7:45 P.M., David Levithan will host a YA author panel. Panelists and other author guests include Libba Bray, Rachel Cohn, Eireann Corrigan (winner of the Garden State Teen Book Award) Justine Larbalestier, Barry Lyga, and Scott Westerfeld. Space is limited, so you have to call to reserve a seat. If you want more information, you can reach Kimberly Spring at 212-966-3424 or email the library at mulberry_branch@nypl.org.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never get over the internal fangirl squee when I realize that an author whose work I love knows I exist. OMG Nancy Werlin knows I exist! Now that I'm over the squee, I wanted to share with you some very interesting information that Nancy shared with me: When Impossible comes out in paperback, it will be cross-marketed as an adult novel. I have only one word for this: Awesome! I can only hope that Impossible is the first of many books that will be cross-marketed this way. YA for all!

Those of you who buy popular music from your libraries, don't forget that U2's No Line on the Horizon is out today. It's already #1 in Amazon music and on iTunes.

Back to reading and writing reviews!

No comments: