Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Enter Hogwarts all over again

It's hard to believe that next month will mark the 10th anniversary of the US publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I swear just yesterday it was October of 1999 and I was in Conkey's Bookstore, anxiously checking their new books tables for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I've known Harry longer than I've known my husband and some of my closest friends. Since I first met Harry I've finished my Bachelor's and my Master's and acquired driver's licenses in four different states (not all at the same time). I waited in line at release parties for four of the seven books. Ten-year-olds used to stop me in airports and ask where I got my "Gryffindor House Quidditch Team" gym bag. It's been a long, strange trip, and a great one.

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the publication of book 1, Scholastic is holding an all-day Harry Potter Readathon on September 23rd at its SoHo building. Starting at 8 a.m., each person in line will get a chance to sit in J.K. Rowling's throne and read aloud from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. They have little gifts for those who read, too. For those who can't attend in person, there will be a live webcast at Scholastic's Read Harry site. I'll be there in my sparkly "Team Rowling" t-shirt.

No comments: